Measure the pulse and respiration rate of yourself and others using your camera.
This app can often pick up on the subtle variations in face color caused by a heart beat. To test remote heart rate sensing from your face or others, use this app. A more reliable heart rate measurement can be made from the finger using apps such as "Instant Heart Rate".
- Steady the camera by resting it on a table (for example).
- Position your face in the top box and shoulders in the bottom box.
- Push 'Start' and keep still while the measurement is in progress.
- Your pulse and respiration rate will be displayed.
How it works:
- Movement of your chest is used to measure respiration rate.
- Small changes in reflectivity from your face are used to measure pulse. Each heart beat our faces pulsate - changing in reflectivity by about 1%, if these changes were 2% then we would be able to see them with our eyes, at 1% they are just detectable with a smartphone camera (after a few seconds of measurement).
Disclaimer: This remote sensing software is fallible and so it is not recommended for important measurements.
MedCam is a free software application from the Health & Nutrition subcategory, part of the Home & Hobby category.
The app is currently available in English and it was last updated on 2014-07-26. The program can be installed on Android.
MedCam (version 1.12) is available for download from our website.
Just click the green Download button above to start. Until now the program was downloaded 8 times.
We already checked that the download link to be safe, however for your own protection we recommend that you scan the downloaded software with your antivirus.